85th KANNADA SAHITYA SAMMELAN
Context: Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa on 5th February inaugurated the eight-fifth Kannada Sahitya Sammelana in Kalaburagi.
This year’s event is being presided over by noted poet Dr H S Venkateshmurthy
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SAMMELAN
- The Sammelana began with a grand cultural procession joined by tens of thousands of people which included writers, artists and schoolchildren.
- Also part of the procession were decorated chariots and tableaux.
- The procession which was held on a 5.5 km long route, was flagged off by Kannada Sahitya Parishat president Manu Baligar from the S M Pandit Rangamandir.
- Baligar along with Sammelana president H S Venkatesh Murthy then sat on a decorated golden chariot which was followed by 12 silver ones carrying presidents of 30 district Kannada Sahitya Parishat units.
- The cultural program included 60 cultural troupes of 800 artists who showcased performances like Kamsaale, Dollu Kunitha, Pooja Kunitha, Veeragaase, Nandi Dhwaja, Navilu Kunitha, Bombe Kunitha, Nagari and Kangeelu Kunitha.
- Kalaburagi, the capital of the famous Rashtrakuta king Amoghavarsha Nrupatunga, called ‘Ashoka of the South’ is hosting the Sammelana after a gap of 32 years.
- The main stage has been named after Srivijaya who authored the Kaviraajamarga, the earliest piece of Kannada literature available.
- The logo of the festival too highlights this work on rhetoric, poetics and grammar that was said to have been co-authored or inspired by the Amoghavarsha himself.
- The stage has been modelled on the fort of Malkhed which also served as the capital of the Rashtrakutas.
DR H S VENKATESHMURTHY
- Hodigere S.Venkateshamurthypopularly known as the HSV is a Kannada poet, playwright.
- S. Venkatesha Murthy was born to conservative parents Smt. Nagarathnamma and Sri. Narayana Bhatta in a remote village Hodigere of Channagiri Taluk Davanagere district.
- HSV had his schooling at his native village and later studied in Holalkerefollowed by collegiate training at Chitradurga
- He did his Masters in Kannada at Central College Bangalore.
- He worked as lecturer and professor for more than three decades in St. Joseph’s College of Commerce, Bangalore and settled in Bangalore after retirement.
- He got his Doctorate in literature for his research on Kannadadalli Kathana Kavanagalu.
- S.Venkatesha Murthy is recognised as post-navya writer who is also well known as Bhavageetepoet.
- He is also considered as a blend of two well known literary movements in Kannada – pre-navya and post-navya.
- As of 2015, he has published 27 poetry collections in Kannada.
- Books written by him include Shankadolagina Mouna ,Uttarayana mattu; Kannadiya Surya; Vaidehi; Suneetha Bhava.
- S.Venkatesha Murthy is also known for his writings for children, known as bala-sahityain Kannada.
KANNADA SAHITYA PARISHAT
- Kannada Saahithya Parishath(Kannada Literary Council) is a non-profit organisation that promotes the Kannada language.
- Its headquarters is in the city of Bengaluruin the state of Karnataka, India.
- It strives to promote Kannada language through publishing books, organizing literary seminars and promoting research projects.
- It also organizes an annual conference on Kannada literature called Kannada Sahithya Sammelana (Kannada Literary Meet).
- The current president of the parishat is Manu Baligar.
What is the significance of Kannada sahitya Sammelana? What is the role of Kannada sahitya parishat in promoting Kannada culture?( 20 marks)