Context: National Tribal Festival, Aadi Mahotsav begins on November16, 2019 in New Delhi.
NATIONAL TRIBAL FESTIVAL 2019
- The theme of the festival is “a Celebration of the Spirit of Tribal Crafts, Culture and Commerce”, which represents the basic ethos of tribal life.
- The festival will feature exhibition-cum-sale of tribal handicrafts, art, paintings, fabric, jewellery and much more through 200 stalls to showcase this.
- The tribal textiles manufactured by master tribal craftsmen from Jammu & Kashmir in the North to Tamil Nadu in the South and from Gujarat in the West to Nagaland/Sikkim in the East will be the main attractions.
- Over 1000 tribal artisans and artists from 27 States will be participating in the festival. The event will be marked by mesmerizing performances and cultural shows, showcasing the products of tribal artisans based on the tribal rituals, harvest, festivals, martial art forms etc., from 20 States of the country.
OBJECTIVES OF THE ADI MAHOTSAV
- The concept of organizing Aadi Mahotsav in major cities is to eliminate the middle man and providing direct access to large markets, otherwise impossible to reach for them.
- In line with the national aspiration to go cashless, the tribal merchandise stalls will be accepting payment through major credit/debit cards.
- TRIFED an organisation of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Government of India started the concept of organizing “Aadi Mahotsav – National Tribal Festival” to provide direct market access to the tribal master-craftsmen and women in large metros and State capitals.
- Apart from handloom and handicrafts, TRIFED also promotes processing and value addition of forest produces through the Prime Minister Van Dhan Yojana, as a special scheme to promote tribal enterprise.
The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into existence in 1987.
It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of Ministry of Tribal Affairs, Govt. of India.
TRIFED has its registered and Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
OBJECTIVES of TRIFED
- The ultimate objective of TRIFED is socio-economic development of tribal people in the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products on which the lives of tribals depends
TRIFED’s role is envisaged as a facilitator and service provider.
- The philosophy behind this approach is to empower tribal people with knowledge, tools and pool of information so that they can undertake their operations in a more systematic and scientific manner
- It involves capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization, formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and imparting training to them for undertaking a particular activity.
- Exploring marketing possibilities in national as well as international markets, creating opportunities for marketing tribal products on a sustainable basis, creating a brand and providing other services.