Context: Constitution day is being celebrated across India on 26th November.
- The government is celebrating ‘Constitution Day’ or ‘Samvidhan Diwas’ on in the Central Hall of Parliament to mark the 70th anniversary of adoption of the Constitution by the Constituent Assembly.
- The Indian Constitution was adopted on this day 70 years ago
- Constitution Day(National Law Day), also known as Samvidhan Divas, is celebrated in India on 26 November every year to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India.
- The Government of India declared 26 November as Constitution Day on 19 November 2015 by a gazette notification.
- The year of 2015 was the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar, who had chaired the drafting committee of the Constituent Assembly and played a pivotal role in the drafting of the constitution.
- Previously this day was celebrated as Law Day.
SIGNIFICANCE OF 26TH NOVEMBER.
- November 26 has a unique historical significance as it was on this day 70 years ago on November 26, 1949 the Constituent Assembly of India adopted the Indian Constitution.
- The Constitution came into effect two months later, on January 26, 1950, marking the beginning of India as a republic and celebrated asRepublic Day
Since 2015, this day has been observed as the Constitution Day of India, also known as Samvidhan Divas