Context: Fresh cases have been confirmed positive for COVID-19 in Kerala, Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.The country now has over 40 active cases.
FIRST CASE IN KARNATAKA
Karnataka confirmed its first positive case after a 40-year-old software professional, who returned from the U.S. on March 1, tested positive.
- It was discovered in late 2019 in Wuhan City, in the Hubei Province of China.
- Most infections have occurred in China or are related to travel from Hubei Province.
- There have been some cases reported in United States.
- The outbreak is being closely monitored by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO).
- The FDA has approved more widespread use of a rapid test for COVID-19.
- The test, which was developed by the CDC, uses samples from the nose, throat, or lungs.
- It enables fast, accurate diagnosis of the virus. The test is now allowed to be used at any CDC-approved lab across the country.
There is a need for coordinated action for contact tracing, community surveillance, hospital management, identification of isolation wards, ensuring adequate personal protection equipment and masks and risk communication