ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE AND VAPING
Context: Indian cabinet has announced a ban on the production, import and sale of electronic cigarettes saying they pose a risk to health.
- An executive order has been approved banning vaping products because of their impact on young people.
- India has more than 100 million adult smokers making it a huge potential market for e-cigarette companies
- E-cigarette is a hand held battery powered vaporizer that stimulates smoking and provides some behavioral aspects of smoking but without burning tobacco.
- Using an e-cigarette is known as Vaping.
- Vaping involves inhaling a mix typically made of nicotine, water, solvents and flavors, this is seen as an alternative to smoking which can help quit smoking but its impact on health is still fully not known.