EXTENDED RAILWAY BOARD GIVES NOD TO SUBURBAN RAIL PROJECT.
Context: The Bengaluru suburban rail project received a clearance from the extended railway board (ERB), and will be placed before cabinet committee on economic affairs for final approval.
BENGALURU SUBURBAN RAIL PROJECT
- The proposed suburban rail project for Bengaluru currently at design stage is likely to be integrated with at least 10 metro stations.
- It’s a 50:50 project by central and state government.
- The detailed project report (DPR), proposes 57 suburban railway stations covering a distance of 148 km.
- The DPR requires approval from state and the railway board.
- A special purpose vehicle (SPV), B-RIDE will execute the suburban rail project for Bengaluru.
- The DPR has set a 6 year period for the construction of the project.
- The project is estimated to cost 15900 crores; there is a proposal to build four corridors.
The suburban rail project would effectively address the traffic woes of the city, while also providing a mass transit system that is both economical and reliable.