India elected as a Member of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Council for another 4-year term (2019-2022)
- India has been elected as a Member of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Councilfor another 4-year term (2019-2022).
- By securing 165 votes, India ranked third among the 13 countries elected to the Council from the Asia-Australasia region, and eighth among the 48 countries elected to the Councilglobally
- The ITU has 193memberstates who elect representatives to the Council
Relation of India with ITU
- India has been an active member of the ITU since 1869, earnestly supporting the development and propagation of telecom in the global community of nations.
- The country has been a regular member of the ITU Council since 1952, and has played an important role in harmonizing the contributions of member States from the region, always respecting the equality and consensus-building.