KARNATAKA HAS RECORDED THE HIGHEST TB DEATHS IN 2018
Context: Karnataka has recorded the highest tuberculosis (TB) death rate in the country in 2018 at 6.2%.
- This is higher than the national TB death rate at 4% in public sector.
- Given the fact that the success rate of treatment in public sector is 80% in state this is a worrisome trend.
- Karnataka is followed by Gujarat, Puducherry and Tripura.
REASONS FOR HIGH TB DEATHS
- High TB DEATH rate in the state was attributed to high prevalence of TB-HIV coinfection.
- Nearly 40% of the over 16000 new HIV cases detected in the state are reported to have TB as a coinfection.
- Over 25% of HIV deaths in the state are due to TB.
Hence the state health department is now prioritizing TB comorbidities especially HIV diabetes and tobacco addiction.