MANNEQUINS TO HELP MONITOR BENGALURU TRAFFIC
Context: Bengaluru Traffic Police have installed 200 life-sized mannequins at troublesome junctions in Bengaluru.
- This is an initiative to get motorists to follow traffic rules and observe lane discipline.
- The hope is that the mannequins, dressed as traffic police, will deter repeat offenders.
- The idea is along the lines of farmers using scarecrows to discourage birds from destroying their crops.
- The mannequins have been outfitted with standard police uniforms, reflector jackets, hats, boots, masks and even sunglasses, in an attempt to trick motorists into believing that it is a real cop.
- The police are planning to install CCTV cameras on them to record violations.
- The behavior of motorists changes automatically when they see a traffic policeman.
- Studies show that there are fewer violations in manned junctions compared to unmanned junctions.
- Mannequins will be replaced with real policeman the next day, to ensure that motorists follow rules.