Context: Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) unveiled its first ‘woman’ astronaut at the inaugural session of the “Human Spaceflight and Exploration – Present Challenges and Future Trends” seminar on 22 January in Bengaluru.
- The robot is powered by speech synthesis software and artificial intelligence.
- The half-humanoid will ride to space in the first test flight of the human space mission, Gaganyaan.
- Reportedly, two such trial flights without crew will take place with Vyom Mitra the first around December 2020 and the second around July 2021.
- According to ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU) Director Vyommitra is the result of the one year of hard work by IISU, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Vyommitra is a space faring humanoid robot that looks and talks like a human, while also conducting experiments aboard the rocket.
- Vyommitra is a half-humanoid robot as the robot only has the top half of the body, without any legs.
- The half humanoid is going to simulate the human systems to that understand how the human system will behave, how the life support system will behave.